Grand Rapids Public Schools - Burton Elementary & Middle School
2133 Buchanan Ave SW Grand Rapids MI 49507 Map
- 181,000 SF
- $27.5 Million
- Date Completed:
The complete renovation of the 181,000 sf Burton Elementary and Middle School facility is a pride to both the local community and Owen-Ames-Kimball Co. as it is a transformation of an eighty-three year old academic monument into an innovative learning environment for the students, as well as an essential resource to the community. The original building was constructed by Owen-Ames-Kimball Co. in 1925. In 2007, O-A-K returned to modernize and expand the facility while preserving its historical character.
Some of the building uniqueness’ include the integration of two schools, Elementary and Middle, into one facility, while maintaining the individuality of each school. This is accomplished by individual gymnasiums, cafeterias, and public areas, as well as separate traffic flow patterns once outside the welcoming glass atrium lobby. The Elementary School resides on the first floor and includes a full playground in the school’s courtyard, as well as an innovative media center, a 549 seat auditorium, and a full service kitchen to accommodate the students for both breakfast and lunch. The second and third floors house the classrooms, gymnasium and commons areas for the Middle School.
This renovation is pursuing LEED® certification. Interesting LEED® features include a grey water system used to flush toilets, and a green roof displaying indigenous plants. Both of these enrichments present educational value for the students; such as the grey water system that incorporates a display case where students can view water reuse through clear tubes, and read narratives explaining the process.
The scope of this project provides enhancements for the local community as well. These improvements include: irrigation to the neighborhood soccer field, resurfacing of the local track, and the addition of a new splash pad for community entertainment. The building itself accommodates the community by housing a full medical and dental clinic.